Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Meet our New Bees

Beekeeping

I can't believe it has almost been a full year since we last posted.
Not too much has happened on the homesteading front in that time due to the fact that we both have had rather busy work schedules and not much time at all to spend in the garden.
I thought I would start (as I have a little more time on my hands now again) to introduce you to our new bee colony. If nothing else I will try and update you on the goings on of this fabulous hobby!

 I have been studying beekeeping over the last year and a half and have been attending a local beekeeping course.
We weren't planning on keeping bees this year, but I was offered two old, handmade hives that had already been kitted out with wax plates and were ready to use.
We placed them in the garden and decided that if we happen to come across a colony/swarm then we will start in earnest.

At the beginning of last month exactly that happened.
I noticed a swarm in one of my neighbours gardens and she was more than happy for me to come by and fetch the swarm from them.

Stefan and I managed to get over 3/4 of the colony into one of the hives and they have since been growing from strength to strength.

swarm of bees

Meet them for yourselves:


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, we so appreciate hearing from you.
We will reply to all comments posted :)
x
Natalie and Stefan

Infolinks In Text Ads